HAI PHONG – is not only a beautiful sea with fresh air, Do Son district also has many historical and religious relics to form a unique spiritual tour.
Tuong Long Tower is located on Long Son peak, 95.2 m above sea level, the highest mountain in the Cuu Long range on the Do Son peninsula.
According to some studies, the tower was built in 1058, during the reign of King Ly Thanh Tong. Legend has it that this is the place where “mountains and water accumulate” so the sacred energy of heaven and earth is captured. Along with Bao Thien Tower in the capital Thang Long, Tuong Long tower is one of the two most magnificent Buddhist works during the Ly dynasty (1010-1225) when Buddhism flourished and was revered as the national religion.
After thousands of years, only the square foundation remained of the ancient tower. The current tower is a simulated version with a scale of 9 floors, square shape, 37.14 m high, inaugurated in 2017 to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the establishment of the Do Son district.
Ba De Temple in Ngoc Hai ward is a famous temple in Hai Phong worshiping Mrs. Dao Thi Huong, wife of Lord Trinh Giang. The temple was later conferred the title “Dong Nhac De Ba – Lady Trinh” by King Tu Duc.
Initially, the temple had a simple structure, nestled on the back of Doc Mountain, in front of the sea. Currently, the temple has been restored more spaciously.
Hang Pagoda has the literal name Coc Tu, located in area 1, Van Son ward, Do Son district. Many researchers believe that this is the first place where Buddhism was introduced to our country, before reaching the Luy Lau – Dau area, Thuan Thanh district, Bac Ninh. Currently, in front of the temple door there is a large letter board introducing this legend.
The ancients built the pagoda from a mountain cave 3.5 m high and 7 m wide divided into 2 steps. The outer steps are about 23 m2 wide, the inner steps are about 0.5 m higher. Therefore, the cave’s interior is trapezoidal in shape, penetrating straight into the mountain about 25 m.
The pagoda has its back hidden deep in the mountain and its face facing Do Son sea. Outside there is a statue of Guan Yin Buddha, on the right is the ancestral church, followed by the tower. On the mountain there are statues of dragons and phoenixes, at the foot of the mountain are statues of magical turtles and carp.
Long Son Temple located in Ngoc Xuyen ward worships Ms. Chin and a system of gods in the belief of worshiping the three palaces and four palaces. Next to the temple, there is a stream of fresh, cool water that flows continuously despite natural disasters and droughts, called Dragon Stream. Therefore, local people call it Co Chin Suoi Rong temple.
This is a spiritual temple that attracts a large number of tourists from all over to worship on the first days of the month and the full moon day. The temple also regularly holds funeral ceremonies and is a cultural heritage honored by UNESCO.
Near Long Son temple, there is also an ancient forest with 17 ancient trees that have just been recognized by the Vietnam Association for the Protection of Nature and Environment (VACNE) as a Vietnamese heritage tree population.
Located next to Long Son Temple is Ngoc Xuyen Communal House, dating from the late 17th and early 18th centuries, worshiping Than Diem Tuoc, the water god of Do Son and also the general tutelary god of this entire land.
The old communal house had 9 roofs, made of wood, fragrant cinnamon, tiled roof, designed in royal style. In 1929, the communal house was rebuilt in the Dinh style architecture with 5 main worship rooms and 3 back palace rooms following the architectural art of the Nguyen Dynasty. The communal house has a brilliant interior, decorated with carvings and splendid gilded lacquer.
During the 9-year resistance war against the French, Dinh Ngoc Xuyen was the place to receive and see off new recruits, and the secret meeting place for cadres. In 2007, Ngoc Xuyen communal house was ranked “National historical cultural – architectural and artistic relic” by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism.
Nghe Temple is an ancient cultural work, located on Rong stream street in Van Huong ward, Do Son district, and is a city-level historical and cultural relic.
The temple was built halfway up the mountain, belonging to the “general row” of Do Son, and is respected by the people of this coastal area because it worships the 6 gods who founded Do Son land. Nghe Temple is also associated with the traditional buffalo fighting festival, before and after the festival, this is the place where people, neighbors and wards gather to worship.
The relic combines both tangible and intangible elements to become a very valuable cultural heritage, built and existing in a cultural space imbued with national identity.
Mau Vung Temple is located in Hai Son ward, formerly known as Vung Temple. Legend has it that in front of the ancient temple door was a river branch, with three logs floating from the sea. The villagers were warned in a dream and built a temple to worship. Three pieces of wood drifted back and grew into a sesame tree in front of the temple door. The residential hamlet near the temple is therefore named Vung hamlet.
The ancient Van Ngang Temple, called Thuy Tien Am, was established in the 3rd year of the Ly Dynasty with bamboo, wooden walls, and grass roofing to worship the Saints and Immortals.
During the reign of King Le Than Tong, the temple was built with tiled bricks connected to a bi-shaped architecture, with a three-entrance gate, a nine-celestial platform, and a lower stele. The temple was named Hoanh Son Linh Tu. In 1886, this ancient temple was destroyed by the French to make way for the construction of the Northern Governor’s Guesthouse. Then people and contractors rebuilt the small temple. In 1974, the small temple was also destroyed.
Experiencing the ups and downs of history, Van Ngang temple was restored in March 1991 with its back leaning against the mountain, facing the sea.
Legend has it that here, Nguyen Binh Khiem once established a tao dan (poetry vase) association.
Nam Hai Than Vuong Temple, worshiping a Tran Dynasty general who died in the battle against the invading Mongol army, is the most famous on Dau Island.
Dau Island or Hon Dau Island, located in Do Son District, Hai Phong City, about 700 m from the mainland.
Legend has it that on February 9, 1288, fishermen were fishing near Dau Island and discovered a body so they brought it to the island. Through the costumes and what was collected, everyone realized that this was the Tran Dynasty martial general who sacrificed and drifted back. After that, people built a temple to commemorate their gratitude, respectfully calling them “Old Than Dao”.
During the Le Dynasty, when King Le visited the Do Son region and stayed overnight on the island, he gave the martial general the title “Lao Dao Than Vuong”. During the reign of King Tu Duc, he was given the title Nam Hai Than Vuong.
In addition to the Nam Hai Than Vuong temple, on the island there are also temples – Son Lam pagoda, Mau temple, Dong Phuong temple – temple and Nam Phuong temple – temple.
Bao Dai mansion has an area of 1,000 m2 located in a campus of more than 3,700 m2 on the top of Vung hill, in area 2 Do Son, Van Huong ward.
Bao Dai Palace was built by the Governor General of Indochina in 1928 in a prime location in Do Son as a resort, then gifted to King Bao Dai.
The building is built in an octagonal shape, typical French architecture with two floors and a basement. The foundation is laterite embankment. There are gardens in front and behind the mansion.
This mansion was used by King Bao Dai from 1933 to 1954. In 1955, Hai Phong was liberated, Bao Dai mansion was managed by the Ministry of National Defense. In 1984, the Ministry of National Defense handed it over to Do Son Tourism Joint Stock Company.
On September 29, 2020, Hai Phong City People’s Committee recognized Bao Dai Villa, Van Huong ward, Do Son district as a tourist destination. Each year, this mansion welcomes about 60,000 visitors. Currently, tourists can rent rooms, hold parties, conferences, and eat at the place where the king and queen of the Nguyen Dynasty once lived.
Wharf K15 is located at the foot of Van Hoa hill, Van Huong ward, and is a historical landmark marking the starting point of legendary numberless ships.
During the resistance period, hundreds of ships departed from the dock number K15, successfully transporting more than 150,000 tons of weapons, support equipment and tens of thousands of officers and soldiers from North to South. battlefield aid.
On August 18, 2008, K15 pier was ranked as a national historical relic by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism.
Photo,Video: Internet (Vinlove.net)